- Running Club is offered once a week to students in 3rd through 5th grades. This club is sponsored by Kicks for Kids.
- Bike Club is offered once a week to students in 5th grade. This club is sponsored by Bike Club Tulsa.
- China Club
- Hoover Elementary has had a long-standing partnership with Ren He Jie, a primary school in Chongqing, China. Hoover has partnered with Ren He Jie since 2006 and we are the only elementary in the state to have such a program. The Hoover China Club establishes and provides learning activities as well as travel opportunities in order to foster this partnership. The club also coordinates the annual visit of our Chinese friends every fall. We are very proud to consider Ren He Jiea part of our Hoover family!
- Chess Club
- Engineering Club
- Guitar/Ukelele Club
- LEGO Club
- Percussion Club
- Arts and Crafts Club
- STEM Club
- Dot to Dot Club
- Origami Club
- Yoga Club
Leader in Me (LIM) is an evidence based, comprehensive school improvement model developed in partnership with educators that empowers students with the leadership and life skills they need to thrive in the 21st century.
Leader in Me is based on a theory of change known as the See-Do-Get Cycle. When you change the way you SEE things, it influences what you DO and the results you GET.
Educators begin to see their role, student potential, and the purpose of school culture in a new way. The Leader in Me experience begins with a whole new paradigm for education. Educators rediscover their passion through Leader in Me as it redirects their focus back to a deeper understanding of student achievement.
Many people equate leadership with a formal position of authority. We believe anyone can be a leader by intentionally leading one’s own life (leading self) and working well with and encouraging the greatness in others-whether family, friends, neighbors, or colleagues (leading others).
- Everyone can be a leader.
- Everyone has genius.
- Change starts with me.
- Educators empower students to lead their own learning.
- Develop the whole person.
Instead of focusing on academics alone, Leader in Me embodies a holistic approach to education, redefining how schools measure success. This approach empowers educators with effective practices and tools to:
- teach LEADERSHIP to every student,
- create a CULTURE of student empowerment,
- and align systems to drive results in ACADEMICS.
Within the education industry, it is common for schools to receive recognition for outstanding achievement. The Lighthouse Certification is a highly regarded recognition for outstanding achievement. The Lighthouse Certification is a highly regarded standard set by Franklin Covey that is attainable by every Leader in Me school. As it is a significant benchmark, applying for this certification typically occurs four to five years after a school begins the Leader in Me process.
The milestone is evidence that schools have produced outstanding results in school and student outcomes, by implementing the process with fidelity and excellence. It is also because of the extraordinary impact that the schools may be having on staff, students, parents, and the greater community.
Lighthouse Milestone is a celebration of a school’s accomplishments and commitment to school-wide implementation of The Leader in Me Framework. The milestone allows for a spotlight on a school’s greatness, and identification of best practices.
Lighthouse Certification is an external recognition for an internal transformation-a milestone on the path for continuous improvement; a journey of continuous transformation, innovation, and improvement.
There are 4,317 Leader in Me schools around the world today.
There are 516 schools around the world that have earned Lighthouse certification.
Hoover Elementary achieved Lighthouse Milestone certification on June 3, 2019.
- Be Proactive
- begin with the end in mind
- put first things first
- think win-win
- seek first to understand then to be understood
- sharpen the saw
At Hoover we:
- Teach and live the 7 Habits
- Create Leadership Notebooks to make and track goals
- Meet with accountability partners for goal progress and support
- Provide leadership opportunities for every student through classroom leadership positions
- Provide school wide leadership positions
- Have Monday morning meeting to build community (led by each grade level)
- Student led daily announcements (each grade level)
- Meet with Buddy Classroom
- Wear Hoover lanyards for a feeling of community
- Give students voice through the Student Lighthouse Team
- Celebrate students with recognition of “Leader of the Month”, Hoover Award, Perfect Attendance, honor rolls, shout outs, and the Hot Takei Award
- Hold a yearly Leadership Day where students showcase their leadership ability
- Provide school tours to guests
In elementary music classes, students will learn and practice the basic fundamental elements of music such as sound, melody, harmony, rhythm, and expression (dynamics, tempo, articulation). Students will engage in singing, playing instruments, responding to music with movement, and connecting with various cultures through music. These classes will help students develop creativity, self-expression, and problem-solving while creating music together as a team. These classes will also provide students with performance opportunities, which will help them develop a sense of ensemble, tolerance, perseverance, and rigor—enabling them to be well-rounded citizens of our global society.