To receive a new student / parent to Hoover Elementary School the following activities and processes are in place:
- Preview Night is offered several days before school begins to allow students and parents the opportunity to meet the teacher and see the classroom.
- Welcome Packets are given to all new students and their families which include PTA membership info, Student Code of Conduct , Hoover Student Handbook, supply lists, teachers’ newsletters, insurance forms, Tell Me About Your Child form so parents can inform teacher of individual needs, and volunteer information at the beginning of school.
- Postcards are mailed to each student by their homeroom teacher before school starts to welcome each child to the new school year.
- Collaboration efforts are implemented for students on IEPs to ensure that all staff is informed of special needs
- Buddies are assigned for new students so that they are comfortable with the traveling schedule.
- Pizza/Bingo nights are held soon after school starts and throughout the year to encourage and maintain community interaction and spirit.
- Back to School Night for parents is held during the first week of school to quickly inform parents of classroom procedures.
Career Awareness / Orientation / Exploration activities include:
- Study Trips to explore various careers and community settings
- Visits from Community Helpers
- Career explorations through the Gifted and Talented program
- Partners in Education visit classrooms to share their talents
Preparation for vertical articulation includes:
- Students who are anticipating moving on to Middle School the following fall are given opportunities to visit various school sites to observe first-hand the offerings of each campus.
- Middle school orchestras, students, and faculty come to our school to provide insights and encouragement to fifth grade students who are looking forward to Middle school.
- At the end of the school year Early Childhood students are given the opportunity to shadow kindergarten students to help them prepare for the transition to all day school.